shawnweisser

Read With Me

I Kissed Dating Goodbye: A New Attitude Toward Relationships and Romance
Joshua Harris
Invisible (An Ivy Malone Mystery Book, #1)
Lorena McCourtney
Living and Dying in the Hamptons
T.L. Ingham
Murder and Mischief in the Hamptons
T.L. Ingham
A Guide to Writing of Children's Books: Proceedings of the Writers' Workshop on Children's Books
National Book Development Council Of Sin

Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1)

Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1) - Teddy Jacobs I like reading new YA fiction because you usually find some lovely gems. However, gem this story was not. I kept hoping the story would take off but I felt like I was treading water. I did not feel any real angst for Anders, the pimply-faced teen who just seems to flounder. While the story started off slowly it really did not give me enough information for me to bond with him as a main character. In fact, I could not bond with any of the characters. I felt no loss at the deaths, I felt no relief when Anders and his friends made their way to safety. Nothing. The story did not draw me in. The worst part of the story was the abrupt ending. Actually, it did not "end" at all. The story just stopped in a weird place. The inserted first chapter of book two felt more like the ending of book one. It also felt as though the author really has no clue as to how modern teens speak or think. Jacobs tried too hard to be a sixteen year old boy. Too many references to pimples and the characters were too flat and unbelievable. I would not suggest reading this book until it has had a couple go-rounds with an editor and serious re-writing to flesh out the characters and storyline.